When I first brought Jasper home, a bundle of energy with floppy ears, I remember feeling overwhelmed. How was I supposed to ensure this energetic puppy felt secure, especially when I wasn’t around? Enter the world of crate training. Today, I'll share with you my tried-and-tested approach to puppy crate training, a journey filled with patience, some missteps, and the strategic use of Bully Sticks Central's natural dog treats.
Why Crate Training?
Before diving in, it's crucial to understand the 'why' behind crate training. A crate provides your puppy with a sense of security, their very own safe space. It can aid in housebreaking, reduce destructive behaviors, and ensure their safety while you're away.
Sarah’s Six-Step Crate Training Method
- Choosing the Right Crate: Ensure it's spacious enough for your puppy to stand, turn, and lie down comfortably. But, not so large that they might designate a corner for bathroom use.
- Making the Crate Comfortable: Add soft blankets and toys to make it welcoming. I placed one of my worn t-shirts inside; the familiar scent helped Jasper feel at ease.
- The Introduction: This step is crucial. Open the crate door and let your puppy explore on their own terms. Never force them inside.
- Feeding Inside the Crate: Start serving your puppy's meals inside the crate. This helps associate the crate with pleasant experiences.
- Increasing Crate Time: Once they’re eating their meals without hesitation, you can start closing the crate door. Initially, only for short durations, gradually increasing as they become more accustomed.
- Overnight & When You're Away: Once your puppy is spending about 30 minutes comfortably in the crate after meals, you can start crating them overnight or during short outings.
How Bully Sticks Central Comes into Play
Rewards play a massive role in crate training. Every time Jasper went into his crate without fuss or whined a little less than the previous day, I would give him a treat from Bully Sticks Central. Here's why they're ideal:
- Natural Ingredients: I wanted to ensure whatever Jasper consumed was natural. Bully Sticks Central's treats fit the bill perfectly.
- Extended Chew Time: Their long-lasting treats meant Jasper had a delightful distraction for a while, making the crate a fun place.
- Oral Health Bonus: Chewing on these treats not only occupied Jasper but also helped in plaque removal, promoting dental health.
- Variety: With a range of options, from chewy sticks ideal for younger pups to harder ones for the slightly older ones, there's a treat for every puppy's need.
Sarah’s Personal Tips and Insights
Remember, every puppy is unique. While Jasper took a liking to his crate relatively quickly, a friend's Golden Retriever took longer. Patience is vital. Here are some insights from my experience:
- Consistency is Key: Stick to a routine. Puppies love predictability.
- Location Matters: Initially, place the crate in a high-traffic area so they don’t feel isolated.
- Safety First: Ensure there are no items in the crate that can harm your puppy.
- Treats are Your Allies: As mentioned, Bully Sticks Central treats were my saviors. They made crate time ‘treat time’ for Jasper.
- Listen to Your Puppy: If they’re consistently whining or seem distressed, it's essential to address the issue, whether it's reducing crate time, revisiting crate size, or consulting with a vet.
Parting Words: The Crate Training Journey
Remember, the goal is to make your puppy see the crate as their safe haven, not a place of punishment. The journey of crate training Jasper has had its challenges, but by being consistent, patient, and having a stash of Bully Sticks Central treats at the ready, we've made the crate his second favorite place - after my lap, of course.
Embarking on the crate training journey? Stay patient, stay informed, and always ensure you're equipped with love and the right treats!
This post was last updated at December 11, 2023 06:18